Saturday, November 3, 2007

Lesson Learned (or so I thought)


Maddie, oh Maddie...where do I start. Just a few short weeks ago, I remember thinking to myself that she was such a good girl- a good helper and pretty well-behaved for the most part. I couldn't even remember the last time I had to send her to her room for a "time out". Well, I believe she has now entered into what I can only think to call "a phase" or at least I hope that's what this is. Today I had big plans...we (myself and the kids) were going to hit several stores to find a few odds and ends that I'd been looking for. It was 10am, so I figured we had a good two hours before either of them got hungry and cranky. Boy was I wrong! In store #1 Maddie had a meltdown. I told her we were going to leave when I could see she was starting to get antsy. She insisted that it was "too hard" to move her legs to walk out of the store. Which has been her excuse lately of why she can't help Mommy. "It's hard for me" she will say. Anyways, I threatened to leave her and she started screaming at me...a wonderful thing for any mom, especially in public! I ended up carrying both kids out of the store, both crying by this point. I was so angry with her, I thought I would scream. I told her instead of going to some fun stores, we were going straight home so she could spend the day in her room. When we got home I emptied her room of all of her toys or anything else I thought she might enjoy (see picture below). Not long after, she decided she would be a good girl. She apologized and everything seemed to be looking bright. So, we got back in the car and headed to store #2. On the way, she was talking about how "It is so hard for me to do it" but she followed that up with "Now, I know how to do it." I asked her what "it" was, but she didn't give an answer. Maybe something was sinking in, or so I thought. When we got home she was not listening to anything I was asking her to do, therefore she ended up back in her room. This is how I found her (picture at top of post--sorry they are out of order). Maybe I'm expecting too much from a 3 year old, I don't know! Anyways, sorry about the novel, I just had to vent!




7 comments:

Jared Heal said...

Cindy, I have had so many of those days with my kids. I always tell myself that I'm never taking them to the store again and I alway give in. I love to shop to much but I'm sure she just going though a phase.

Kellie said...

I'm sorry to say - it's the name! I want to tell you it gets easier, but it gets worse. Best advice...stick to your guns! If it's any consolation, my Maddie is a perfect peach in public to everyone else, it's just me she takes it out on. I did the exact same thing to my mom. She does have a lot of good days, but the bad days we are at each other's throats!

Meghan said...

Oh... Paige is in a 'stage' too. Just when I think - gosh, I'm lucky to have such a sweet and obedient child, I ask her to do something and she says 'No - I don't want to.' Talk about testing the patience. I've been told that children need and like boundaries and we have to set them - so good job!

Ashley A. said...

It sounds like you handled everything very well, Cindy. I go through this a lot with Elizabeth. She is frequently saying that the things I ask her to do are "too hard". You're doing a great job and Maddie and Camden are both great kids! (even if it doesn't seem like it some days)

The Grant Family said...

Ahhh....that brings back such fun memories of doing the same thing...that is taking all the toys out of the kids rooms so they could have a real time out!

Jackie said...

Just this last week, I struggled with this same sentence, "It's too hard, Mommy!" What's too hard for me is when these 3-year-olds can blow us away with ridiculous things that no 3-year-old should be able to do in my mind, but then to pick up toys, or move one's foot becomes too hard. I'm right there with ya, especially when they've been nice and obedient for awhile...Although I do think you're lucky for not remembering the last time you had to put Maddie in time-out. Dallin goes nearly everyday because even though he knows a million things, he cannot remember to be nice to his sister and stop taking her toys away from her. ;) Oh, and even though it was really not funny to you at the time, the rendition of taking everything out of her room was really funny to me. Mommy power!

Debbie said...

Ooooh the joys of motherhood. I think every mother has been in your shoes although it doesn't make it any easier. Like my mom always says, they grow up so fast and then you'll miss those fun, crazy days.