Sunday, September 14, 2008

i heart apples.

Since our latest apple picking excursion I have been scrambling to find things to make with them before they go bad. I kinda like the feeling of being a little homemaker...not that I don't do things that would classify me as such normally. But there is something about making things from scratch that just screams "homemaker!" Anyways, I started with an apple pie, shown below.
Of all the years we've been married I think this is probably my second homemade pie. Sad, I know. I guess they just always seemed like so much work....and yes it was a lot of work! After all of my hard work I may or may not have eaten this and only this for lunch this week....(you be the judge).
After the above pie, I made up two more batches of the pie filling and froze it for later use. Then I moved on the dried apples. My friend let me borrow her dehydrator, which made things so much faster! I dried probably 40-45 apples! I was thinking they would be great healthy snacks and I could use some for food storage. Here is my helper. This was taken after her 1st official day of preschool. The first day was just orientation.
It made her seem so big to be going to school and then helping me in the kitchen while her little brother napped. Funny story--since I was so excited about my dried apples, I brought some to church today for the kids to eat during Sacrament Meeting. Camden took one bite and made a disgusted, sour face. Then he said "yucky...GARBAGE!" So much for all of my effort! Now I am determined to make them like them since I have SO many! We'll see how that goes.

11 comments:

Suzy said...

I think your pie looks so good. I agree, there is someting about doing things homemade. I feel more accomplished when I do it.

April said...

I had sooo much fun catching up on all your posts. Maddie looks so cute on her first day! I love the pictures of them picking apples! Your hair is so cute, by the way. Your pie is making me really hungry now and it looks so pretty.

Here is a website that has really fun recipies with apples... you could also make tons of applesauce. Enjoy! :)
http://www.mormonchic.com/recipe/recipebox/pages/apple.asp

Kellie said...

Oh Cindy! You are awesome!! It's funny you should mention apples because tonight we're going to pick apples at our friend's orchard. I'm not sure how many we'll end up with but I'm hoping I have them "running out of my ears!" I love to can pie filling and make applesauce! Tell everyone "hi" from us!!

The Grant Family said...

Look at you go, little miss homemaker! I think it feels so fun to take the harvest and store it up for the winter. It makes me feel so frugal or like I'm living in the old days and a farmer's wife on the plaines....who knows, but I kind of like it.

W said...

Yummy! Making pies is on my to-do list. Micah loves them and I have yet to make one. I think I've made an apple crisp or two, though. Good luck with all the apples. Happy Eating.

Stephanie said...

Yeah, Cindy. I think I've made a real pie once. They are a lot of work, and then you just have to eat it all! But it's fun and it does feel "homemaker-ish." Maddie is sure growing up! That's so funny Camden said the dried apples were garbage!!! You should try making applesauce, then your kids might eat it too.

Kimberly said...

Ooo, it looks like you took my advice about the anirondack bear paw ice cream. . . was it soo good?? Your pie looks great, i wish i had some to eat for lunch every day :)

Taylor's said...

It looks yummy! Good work . . . and just a little secret I have NEVER made a pie since I have been married!

The Duckers said...

The "Yucky....Garbage" thing is just so hilarious to me! I laughed out loud, and I don't do that too often! Good job with the pie! It looked so yummy! You go girl!

Jennifer said...

Maddie is so pretty! I am so impressed with your pie making skills and your apple drying skills! You are such a great home-maker!

Jeremy and Nicole Stucki said...

Look at you Miss Betty Crocker. That pie looks sooooo good! I'm glad New York is treating you guys good!