What could be more perfect than homemade cinnamon rolls on a Sunday evening? I have to brag a little, since the above doesn't happen very often. I must admit, they turned out pretty tasty. Anyone hungry?
Here is the recipe in case anyone is wanting to try them out:
Side note: This is the recipe my mom would make when I was growing up, so it has fond memories associated with it, (wipe away tear). It can be made into rolls or cinnamon rolls, depending on your mood.
Refrigerator Dinner Crescents
2 pkg. yeast (about 2 T.)
1/2 c. warm water
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. shortening
3 beaten eggs
3/4 c. hot water
5-6 c. flour
Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. (My mom said she also adds 1/2 t. sugar to this yeast mixture...I don't know why). Meanwhile, beat eggs in large bowl. Add sugar, shortening, and salt to eggs. Beat well. Then add 3/4 c. hot water, and then yeast mixture. Add 2 cups of flour at a time and beat until smooth. Grease bowl and top of dough with some shortening. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or let rise for at least an hour, or until it doubles in size). Rolls-Divide in two and roll into circles, cut into pie shape pieces. Roll from big end to small end. Cinnamon Rolls-Divide in two and roll into large rectangles. Generously cover with butter, cinnamon, and sugar. Roll into large roll and cut with string. Place on greased baking sheet to rise once more (about 3 hours). Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes or until slightly brown.
(I know people prefer different kinds of icing on their cinnamon rolls, thick like frosting or glazed. I prefer the glazed way like my mom used to make. Here is hers):
Icing
3-4 cups powdered sugar
Milk to desired consistency
Dash of salt
Dash of almond extract
Dash of vanilla extract
Mix and coat rolls straight from the oven. Yum! Store in refrigerator.






12 comments:
They look delicious! How's the new ward/branch? Are you the new RS Pres yet? Just you wait!!!
Those look so good. We jsut had Sarah's famous cookies I may have to teach her Cinnamon rolls now!
Kitty Mortimer
Cindy! I have been wanting to make cinnamon rolls for weeks now and haven't done it. That picture has motivated me. :)
Congratulations on the girl! Maddie will love a new little sister, I'm sure.
Those look just like the ones I make! We must have had the same teacher and share the same recipe.
Laura, Russell, Suzanne and kids came for the evening. Our first get together without you...boo hoo! At least you had some good cinnamon rolls....we made lemon bars for dessert and had roast, carrots, potatoes, salad and rolls for dinner. Good traditional Sunday dinner.
PS Love the picture of the kids looking into the oven window!!!
OK I came back to look at those rolls and Sarah wants the recipe now. Could we get it from you?
Please???
Kitty
OK. It is official. We are moving to NY. I need those! Just kidding, but they do look awesome! I might need the recipe too!
YUM! I can almost smell them they look so good! Now you can't leave us all hangin' without the recipe:) It's all cold and rainy here today...and cinnamon rolls seem the perfect thing to have!:)
Are you guys getting settled in?
That sounds sooo good and congrats on the girl!!! That is so awesome! We were in UT and we drove by the turn off to your old place and it made me so sad you weren't there. I hope you guys are enjoying it out east and that Ben is doing well in school!
Cinnamon rolls are my fave. Those look delicious. I love the pic of Maddie and Cam looking into the oven with anticipation. What a fun mom you are!
OK. I tried them tonight. So yummy! Mine were not as big as yours, but I was trying to spread them around to a bunch of kids I was watching. Next time I will try to get them as giant as yours! Thanks for the recipe!
Yum! I bought some yeast a couple of months ago so I could make something delicious. Well, I think I found it! Thanks for posting the recipe. We are considering moving to New York. How do you like it?
Post a Comment